2016年8月3日星期三

Watching the white ceiling and hearing the alarm clock ringing, I have tried to force myself out of bed for two hours, but failed. My mind is in a whirl with all the noise inside my head. I can’t gather any energy to make myself do anything right now. There are so many different voices shouting in my mind. All of them make some sense. One week ago, I was sitting in the office of one of the world’s biggest international electronic companies, and I had just finished my work and was wondering if I should have asked for more work. I had come here as a research intern to improve myself. I had competed with lots of classmates to gain this opportunity and I needed to take this chance to learn as much as possible. But now, I am lying in the bed, doing nothing. I don’t even go to work, let alone try to improve myself. What’s the definition of success? I keep asking myself. The Spanish guy said success is more happiness than sadness. He thought that happiness in life is most important thing. The Japanese guy suggested that success is changing the world. He believed that accomplishing something “meaningful” in life is success. They all have their definition of success, which also act as their goal in life. But what about mine? I was told by parents and teachers to chase the best grades, the best universities and the best jobs. They obviously think that earning lots of money or getting a good job is success. But I have never thought this. I just followed their instructions. I don’t know where I am heading or why I’m working hard. I just work hard because of parents’ and teachers’ instructions. I don’t have any plan and control over my life, I realize. I need to realize my own values and take control of my life. I ask myself about the definition of success again and again. Many ideas present themselves but I eliminate them one by one. Do I really want money? Money itself definitely will not satisfy me. It’s the things money can do that attracts me. So as long as it’s enough, money is no longer important. Is being respected by others important? Being respected does make me happy, but it seems that I can live without it. Happiness and changing the world doesn’t interest me. After considering and rejecting many ideas, only one desire survives and floats to the surface. I treasure the feeling of people around me, especially my family. I want them to be happy. I want them to live a life they want. Watching them happy will make me pleased. That’s my own definition of success.

没有评论:

发表评论